Didcot, first designated as a growth area in 1979, is predicted to grow by another 15,000 homes over the next 20 years. As a result, its population is likely to increase from 26,000 today to over 50,000 residents by 2031, supporting 20,000 new jobs planned for the area.
Cornerstone Arts Centre in Didcot
South Oxfordshire District Council are proud to announce that Didcot has been awarded Garden Town status by the government. It’s a town that will provide affordable homes, schools and jobs whilst preserving the countryside around the town, and a comfortable way of life. The status unlocks funding for infrastructure investment and encourages innovative development of both urban and rural living.
Together with housing and employment growth, this status will help promote Didcot as a vibrant, sustainable and economically viable place to live, work and visit.
The council undertook a public engagement exercise in 2017. You can view the consultation and user’s comments at the Garden Town project consultation website.
Didcot is also unique in its close proximity to two enterprise zones, named Science Vale UK and Didcot Growth Accelerator. HM Government describes enterprise zones as designated areas across England that provide tax breaks and government support. The council have their own dedicated webpage for both zones at sciencevale.com.
Didcot also has many other growth projects including:
- extending the Orchard Centre to draw more people into the town centre providing more retail and dining options for residents and visitors
- regeneration of the area opposite the railway station to include a hotel, office space, shops, cafes, a nursery, open space, and improved pedestrian links between the station and the Orchard Centre
- a range of new housing around the area available to buy or rent (shared ownership will be available, too)
- new green corridors to improve access to business parks and the countryside
- upgrading roads to improve traffic flow
Ultimately, the council is working towards making Didcot Garden Town a modern, sustainable, and exciting place to be, helping to attract International businesses, skilled jobs and house builders of quality, affordable homes.
Useful Contacts for Didcot